Professor of Pathology
Office Phone: 202-677-6600
- BS, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 1980
- MD, American University of Beirut, Lebanon, 1984
Sana O. Tabbara, M.D is Professor of Pathology and serves as Director of Anatomic Pathology at the George Washington University and as Fellowship Program Director for Cytopathology and Surgical Pathology with emphasis on Breast Pathology. She received her Pathology and subspecialty training in Cytopathology at the University of Virginia Health System.
Dr. Tabbara is an active member of several pathology professional societies and has focused her interest in the areas of education, practice patterns in pathology as well as regulatory policies as they pertain to pathology.
Dr. Tabbara has contributed to national efforts to standardize diagnostic terminology and was a co-moderator in the 2001 Bethesda Workshop and a member of the task force for Web-based Dissemination of the Final Bethesda 2001 Terminology and Criteria for Reporting Cervical Cytology. She is a co-author of the Bethesda System Atlas for Reporting Cervical Cytology in all of its three editions.
She was a member of the working group for the 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for abnormal cervical cancer screening tests and cancer precursors that were released in spring 2020 and received the ASCCP Service Recognition Award.
Dr. Tabbara clinical practice is in surgical pathology and cytopathology. Her areas of expertise are in breast, thoracic, head and neck, gynecologic pathology and cytopathology with integration of biomarkers and molecular testing in support of personalized therapies applicable to specific cancer sites.
As part of her cytopathology practice, Dr, Tabbara performs and interprets fine needle aspirations (FNA) and collaborates with radiologists and surgeons on rapid-on-site evaluation of adequacy for FNAs they perform with imaging guidance.
- Evaluation of modalities to improve intraoperative assessment of surgical margins in breast cancer resection.
- Environmental Genomics of uterine leiomyomas (fibroid tumors).
- Biomarkers in high risk breast cancer and its precursor lesions and in head and neck tumors and their significance in determining prognosis
- Practice patterns in gynecologic, non-gynecologic and FNA cytology
- Quality improvement, assessment of competency, and regulatory policies
View publications by this faculty member.
• Zota AR, Geller RJ, VanNoy B, Marfori CQ, Tabbara S, Hu LY, Baccarelli A, Moawad GN. Phthalates exposures and microRNA expression in uterine fibroids: The FORGE Study. Epigenetics Insights, 2020. 13:1-11 https://doi.org/10.1177/2516865720904057
• Perkins RB, Guido RS, Castle PE, et al. 2019 ASCCP Risk-Based Management Consensus Guidelines for abnormal cervical cancer screening tests and cancer precursors. J Low Genit Tract Dis 2020. 24: 102–131. (Sana Tabbara additional author)
• Nayar R, Chhieng DC, Crothers B, Darragh TM, Davey DD, Eisenhut C, Goulart R, Huang EC, Tabbara SO. Moving Forward -- The 2019 ASCCP Management Guidelines and Beyond: Implications and Suggestions for Laboratories. JASC 2020. 9 (4): 291-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasc.2020.05.002
• Davey DD, Souers RJ, Goodrich K, Mody DR, Tabbara SO, Booth CN. Bethesda 2014 Implementation and Human Papillomavirus Primary Screening: Practices of Laboratories Participating in the College of American Pathologists PAP Education Program”. Archives of Pathology & Laboratory Medicine, 2019. 143 (10): 1196-1202. https://doi.org/10.5858/arpa.2018-0603-CP
• Tan X, Fu Y, Chen L, Lee W, Lai Yi, Rezaei K, Tabbara S, Latham P, Teal CB, Man YG, Siegel R, Brem RF, Fu SW. miR-671-5p inhibits epithelial-to-mesenchymal transition by downregulating FOXM1 expression in breast cancer. Oncotarget. 2016 Jan 5;7(1):293-307.doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.6344
• Scognamiglio T, Joshi R, Kuhel WI, Tabbara SO, Rezaei MK, Hoda RS. Noninvasive carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland: A difficult diagnosis on fine needle aspiration. CytoJournal 2015;12:7
• Charron R, Barakat AJ, Tabbara SO. A 12-year-old with a perplexing rash. Contemporary Pediatrics 2015. 32:50.
• Skancke MD, Auzenne TD, Tabbara SO, Mortman KD. Thoracoscopic Resection of Multiple Müllerian Cysts. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Nov; 100(5):1898-900. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2015.01.076.
• Tan X, Peng J, Fu Y, An S, Rezaei K, Tabbara S, Teal CB, Man Y, Brem RF, Fu SW,* miR-638 Mediated Regulation of BRCA1 Affects DNA Repair and Sensitivity to UV and Cisplatin in Triple Negative Breast Cancers Breast Cancer Research 2014. 16: 435. PMID: 25228385
• Tworek J, Howell LP, Nayar R, Savaloja L, Tabbara S, Thomas N, Winkler B. General Quality Practices in Gynecologic Cytopathology: Findings from the College of American Pathologists Gynecologic Cytopathology Quality Consensus Conference Working Group 3. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013.137: 190-198.
• Howell LP, Nayar R, Savaloja L, Tabbara S, Thomas N, Winkler B, Tworek J. The Role of Proficiency Testing in Ensuring Quality: Findings from the College of American Pathologists Gynecologic Cytopathology Quality Consensus Conference Working Group 3. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2013. 137: 183-189.
Industry Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has reported a financial interest with the health care related companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the University and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.