Assistant Clinical Professor of Emergency Medicine
Office Phone: 202-741-2911
Department: Emergency Medicine
- BA, Brown University, 1998
- MD, Brown University School of Medicine, 2002
• Basiouny K, Corrigan Z, Avstreih D, Forgash A. The Role of the Regional Triage Officer in Mass Casualty Incident. Preparedness, Emergency Response and Recovery Conference 2013.
• Davis T, Corrigan Z, Engle J, Dean S, Avstreih D, Brison G, Hanfling D, Jackson W. Leveraging Clinical Expertise During A Mass Casualty Incident Using Mobile Telemedicine. 8th Annual Joint Commission Resources Emergency Preparedness Conference, 2012.
• Wilkerson W, Avstreih D, Gruppen L, Beier K, Woolliscroft J. Using Immersive Simulation for Training First Responders for Mass Casualty Incidents. Academic Emergency Medicine 2008; 15:1152–1159.
• Avstreih D. Conventional Explosives, in Khare R, Newton C. Emergency Medicine Handbook. Mosby 2006
• Avstreih D. Nuclear, Biological and Chemical Terrorism, in Khare R, Newton C. Emergency Medicine Handbook, Mosby 2006
• Sullivan F, Avstreih D: Pneumothorax during CPR training. Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 2000; 15(1):64-70.
• Avstreih D. The Rescue. Brown Alumni Monthly. Nov-Dec 2001.
• Avstreih D, Wilkerson W, on behalf of the University of Michigan Disaster Simulation Team. . Using Immersive Simulation for Training First Responders for Mass Casualty Incidents. University of Michigan Medical Education Day; April 2004.
• Avstreih D, Litvack Z. EMIG.org – a novel internet-based strategy for matching emergency medicine researchers to motivated medical students. SAEM Northeast Regional Annual Meeting, April 2001.
Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Preparedness and Disaster Response
• INOVA Fairfax Emergency Department Doctor of the Quarter.
• Emergency Medicine Resident Association Jean K. Hollister, MD Memorial Emergency Medical Services Award.
• Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Medical Student Excellence Award.
• Hospital Association of Rhode Island Medal of Service.
• Letter of Commendation, Lincoln Almond, Governor of Rhode Island.
American College of Surgeons Disaster Management and Emergency Preparedness Course.
Centers and Institutes
Industry Relationships and Collaborations
This faculty member (or a member of their immediate family) has reported a financial interest with the health care related companies listed below. These relations have been reported to the University and, when appropriate, management plans are in place to address potential conflicts.